Thursday, May 03, 2001

Marc

Why Am I Addicted to Documentaries?: I cried when I saw the HBO doc. about the 1980 US Hockey Team. Did you know they got their asses kicked by the Russian team a month or two before they faced off in the gold medal game? If you didn't, then you do now. American High is a good one, especially for those of us that went through high school.. . I think I had a good time back then, but some of the memories get a little hazy now and again. .. I know I was pissed off at someone for something quite a few times, but who knows who it was or what it was for . .. this show brings a lot of that general feeling across, where everything is so overbearing and heartbreaking and dramatic and important. .. maybe I'm going too far in assuming that it was like that for everyone. .. as far as I can tell, college changed all that. .. or was it moving out that made the difference? This shows definitely got a one up because they filmed during a high school party. .. showing all these underage kids trying to look important/older by drinking shit like martini's and gin 'n tonics. I'm sure there are people out there my age (21 yrs. 358 days) that do drink that shit, but I certainly don't know them. Lately it's been a lot of Samuel Adams or Bud Light. I'm fine with that.

Maybe you should ask someone about my birthday last year. I've thrown up three times in my entire life. Once when I was eleven: I had the stomach flu. Once when I was fifteen: I drank about six too many Red Dogs plus two Zimas. And once, last year on my 21st birthday: when I did about nine or ten shots in fifteen minutes. Stupid? Indubitably. Fun? For about thirty minutes. Dizzy? Incredibly. I tried to play Tony Hawk's Pro Skater to sober up a little, and ended up in a freefall-spin-thingy. Next thing I know, I'm throwing up all over the friggin' place. "Never again," I say. "Not until I'm older."