Thursday, May 31, 2001

Marc

27. Boogie Nights - I give it my lowest rating ever - seven thumbs up. Melora Walters, consider me fascinated.

To Zach & Traffic: You have hit the fundamental difference between you and I. You think between the characters and the plots and everything else. I just go into it blindly, and on most occasions, leave it blindly. It's the same with our majors - English. You look at a poem and say interesting, engaging things about it. I look at a poem and think "why the fuck did this dude write it?", and then I'm stuck for fourty-five minutes trying to suck something out of the damned thing. That's not to say I don't like poetry. Eventually, I get it. And trust me, I'm not putting myself down. It's just the way things are, you know? As for Irving, you're right. He does overload, but I like it like that. Irving writes like I wish I could write. When I sit down to write something, I get frustrated because I can't think of enough substance, or come up with enough striking details. David Foster Wallace's short essay on Illinois and it's geography- astounding. And I quote:

"I grew up in rural Illinois but haven't been back for a long time and can't say I've missed it - the yeasty heat, the lush desolation of limitless corn, the flatness.
"But it's like bike-riding, in a way. . . Straight-shot I-55 will start, ever so slightly, to rise, maybe 5 degrees over a mile, then go just as gentle back down, and then you see an overpass bridge ahead, over a river. .. The whole drive is a gentle sine wave like this . .. if you haven't spent years here you'll never feel it. To people from the Coasts, rural IL's topography's a nightmare, something to hunker down and speed through. .." _-David Foster Wallace A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again

And those were just the parts that stuck out. I don't know why I'm getting into this big time. I just didn't really enjoy Traffic all that much. It made me sleepy. The filming was incredible. I will give you that. In fact, had it been a movie made entirely about Benicio del Toro's character, I probably would have loved it. Even if it had been entirely in Spanish.

I think I've said enough. My apologies for taking up so much space.