Thursday, March 01, 2001

Zach "Morris" Kuhn

You got that chief?

Ladies and gentles, Death Cab For Cutie. Was it worth leaving here at 3 and not getting back until now? Was it worth working my ass off this morning to finish my Drama paper? Was it worth the 6 bucks it cost me to get in (not at the door, I was on the list, but the cost of two beers--one for me and one for Dave Brown owner and operator of holiday matinee who turned twenty five today)?

Yes, Yes, and Yes.

To begin, I had a pretty flat tire. I thought it might cause a problem, but it was fixed with a little air and some tender loving. Chris and I met up at the scenic Deadpan parking lot, where some hippie had just allowed his shaggy dog (though not shaggy enough to shame its owner) to lay a big ol' number two. After a non-stop 2 hour drive, we got to Reckless Records. I was tempted to pick up the new Mark Kozelek, but it was 14 bucks, so I instead chose used copies of the new Silver Scooter (not so good) and "Pardon My French" by Fuck, which cost 2 bucks (so good). I also got the new record from a young lady named Christina Rosenvige, who is very famous as a Latin pop star but has made a record of Ida-ish pop (so so good). We got to the fireside at 7 sharp, only to find a decent size line. I've never been on the list at the fireside before, and was nervous because every time I've been on the list at the Metro I've gotten fucked over.

Not so this time, as the wonderful Dave Brown was standing right at the door. No worries. I buy him a beer, not knowing it is his 25th birthday. He starts handing out drink tickets to the bands and introduces me around. The verdict: no rock star assholes, just love.

The show starts with the and/or's, who need some fine tuning. They could be really good in a year or two, but now are a little flat. Araby, their bass player, is a beautiful woman which helps. They closed with "At the Saturn Bar" which is worth the price of their new CD. Decent start.

Jealous Sound next. Took forever for the band to set up. Question to you band types: why not tune your guitar while the other band is finishing up their set? Why must every band get up on stage, plug everything in like they're gettin ready to rock, and then fucking tune? At least the band was funny, which turned my frown almost upside down. Though Blair had a bit of trouble hitting the high notes (I wonder if he's ever hit them live before....) Jealous Sound were very on. New songs sound promising.

And then there was Death Cab for Cutie. They got on stage, tuned for about sixty seconds and then were ready to go. Played all the hits plus a Bjork cover. Then came the new songs...If you have Napster, immediately search out a little dittie called "We Laugh Indoors" and let me know how awesome you think it is. Halfway through, with Ben singing "Gwenovoir I'd love to" over and over, Chris looked at me, raised his eyebrows, and put up the old rock sign. After it was over (maybe a six minute song) we both agree it may be the best song we've heard in a long, long time. They played for a little under an hour and then stopped. Encore at the Fireside? You bet. A good idea? No. We all knew they were coming back out, they're standing right there talking about what to do. I'm with Coldplay: "we're going to go backstage now, smoke a fag and bullshit about certain ladies in the crowd, you cheer us on and we'll be out shortly". It's such a bad, bad idea-the encore. Regardless, "405" with just the guitar players was a nice treat.

The next DCFC record is going to knock us on our collective ass.

The next five songs on your radio in a perfect world would be: "We Laugh Indoors" by Death Cab for Cutie; "The Sky is a Landfill" by Jeff Buckley; "Goodbye" by Silver Scooter; "Flat Black" by Wheat; and "Can't Get Enough of Your Love, Babe" by the Afghan Whigs.

In the stereo: Joel Phelps

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home