Monday, March 26, 2001

Zach "Demo" Kuhn

If you're listening, are you listening?

I find it quite weird that people in this town, Normal ILL, somehow acquire recordings that are either far from release or demos of a release that is months away. I came home today to find this apartment now has a copy of "Bleed American" the new Jimmy Eat World LP. Or at least the demos of said record. I have a feeling this is either an Ebay 4th generation that someone paid $50 for and then burned for their friends or that Jimmy and the boys are attempting to get some extra enthusiasm by spreading the love. Either way, it's here. I immediately loved "Static Prevails" and "Clarity", but this is going to take some warming. This is what Jimmy really sounds like, as their producer hasn't produced it yet. And as those of us who've seen them live know (and they put on a good show), they don't really sound like the music that comes through your speakers when you put one of their records on. I immediately recognized a few of these songs from the last time they came through chicago, and "sweetness" is on here. Brother Matt, I'm taping you one as I write this.

Today I also picked up the new Album Leaf EP and the Cave In tour EP. Both are stellar, and highly recommended. Did laundry at the place on the corner of College and Willow, where one in five washers/dryers are broken. I happened to pick two broken washers and two broken dryers. I'd figure out the probability of that for you, but I'm too grumpy.

I read an interview with the singer of Old 97's in Magnet today and he said that he once did a songwriter circle with Elliott Smith, Fiona Apple, and Jon Brion where they went one after the other for two hours. I can't even imagine how awesome that must have been. "Question" then "Say Yes" then "Criminal" then the theme from "Magnolia". OOOOHHH.

I have to do a report on Matthew Perry for Drama class. Not that Matthew Perry. The one who "opened up trade" with Japan in the 1850's. Actually, he was the first person to act tough with the then highly independent Japan, and they somehow let him in. Life's funny sometimes.

The next five songs on your radio in a perfect world would be: "Sweetness" by jimmy eat world; "Atlantic City" by bruce springsteen; "avenues" by whiskeytown; "fast as you can" by fiona apple; and "the new collapse" by mt.st.helens.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home