Thursday, March 29, 2001

Zach "Urbanner Bound" Kuhn

It's just that demon light has got you in its sway.

Tomorrow night is shaping up to be a rocker. We have, in order of sexiness: Scooter McBoober (driving all the way from scandal-clad alcohol free Wheaton), Marcie (who is somewhere above Utah right now, wishing he could play in Josie and the Pussycats), Christine "Sixteen" Leb(ow)arsky (who turns 22), and Richard "the Darkness" Fast. And others who shall be named later. I think we're leaving at around 5:15-5:30. Hopefully, we'll find a bottomless pit of alcoholic beverages, though I have to work Friday at 10 a.m. Either way, rock is coming.

Why are all these shows focusing on Robert Frost poems? "Ed", "the Sopranos", whoever else. "Ed" now also has a "Freaks and Geeks" Survivor, which adds a full point to its coolness factor (which isn't that high). Right now "Ed" is busting some Physical Education balls, which Scooter should get to writing a letter about. Ask him about sexually segregated P.E classes, and watch his head pop, pop, pop. Ryan made that mistake once, and I'm confident its never gonna happen again. The P.E teacher on the show just made a great point: "If a kid tries really hard in Math but fails all the tests, should I give him a B? So why should I give a kid who fails his physical tests but tries a B?" Teachers are teachers so why should it be, you and I should get along so awfully? "Even a guy who wears a sweat suit to work can have principles." Two in a row, good man. Two in a row. He loses it later when we find out that he's only failing the kid because another teacher failed his star basketball kid, who is now dying a slow death as a convenient store worker.

Here's my problem with the show (and with life in general): why is it that being a convenient store worker or a mechanic or a construction worker or a waiter is deemed "failure"? A dead on but crude way of saying it is "the world needs ditch-diggers too, Danny". I know a hell of a lot of construction workers that have ten times as much sense as I (the college kid) will ever have. And they can dig Steely Dan on the radio, whereas I can't even turn on "Deacon Blues" at a party without some frowning (except Rick'n'Matt, who know the Dan's prowess.

The next five songs on your radio in a perfect world would be: "sway" by rolling stones; "sway" by alejandro escovedo; "leia" by sense field; "two sides to every story" by straightleggedkick; and "deacon blues" by steely dan.

In the stereo-Rolling Stones: "Sticky Fingers". Everything that's bad now about Mick, Keith, and the other guys disappears every time I hear "Sway". Definitely, with "Brown Sugar", "Wild Horses", "Bitch", and "Dead Flowers", this record kicks my ass. Or moves my ass. My ass is doing something, anyway.