Sunday, June 24, 2001

ZooK

Some things I've known since the day I was born, honey you're just one of them.

I feel dirty for really enjoying Bands on the Run. All the bands are TERRIBLE, especially Harlowe who heavily overstate why it is exactly that many great female artists***1***have a really big problem trying to convince men that they are really great musicians. Playing a private "acoustic" show for a millionaire and getting paid for it only because you're acting seductive and not because he's ever heard anything you've ever done....Flickerstick are the best***2*** band out of the lot, and they're just a bad imitation of just about every major label band getting signed right now. And Soulcracker are AWWWWFUUUULLLL. So why do I watch...it's fascinating. These people are drunk 24 hours a day, they get their hotel rooms for free, probably gas too, and it isn't even close to what being on the road is actually like***3***. But every Sunday I'm transfixed, not caring about who wins just about who looks the fucking stupidest.

Friday night equaled Geneva, allegedly in the top five in Illinois as far as rich people per capita. For a place so steeped in fat pockets, we ended up at this upscale place full of rich and therefore beautiful people where they were selling CANS of beer for 3 DOLLARS. They actually had the nerve to bring the cases of beer they were selling them out of through the bar with the sticker from the liquor store down the street still attatched...isn't that illegal? Anyway, at least i was in good company, as JasonStKingsNuts and I marveled at the waitresses and gave them nicknames***4***, Matt and Rick kept getting weirded out at how many people they knew; Amanda and I sat in the corner being the only non-Genevans there, and Greg and I lamented at the lack of any quality music writing on the web or in print.

We ended up at BenSt.Helen's house, which I can only say is fucking incredible. Putting greens, driving range, bar with full liquor assortment AND a tap with a keg***5*** replaced every week, plus Satellite TV with free "spicy" channels and MTV2, which by the way I saw the new Jimmy Eat World video on, and I'm sorry but it is really fucking good***6*** and all bands should shoot live videos in their home towns and NOT lip-sync and just rock it out.

And last night is a blur, but I ended up in Naperville bars drinking Naperville drinks hating Naperville D.bags hanging with two of my best friends in the world watching Naperville drunks do the FUCKING ELECTRIC SLIDE in large groups of Naperville drunkeness.

The next five songs on yer radio in a perfect world would be: "wicked game" by chris issak; "hip hop" by mos def; "a picture postcard" by promise ring; "if i can't change your mind" by sugar; and "web in front" by archers of loaf.

in the stereo: awful Flickersoulowe madness.

***1***My personal favorites: the Spinanes/Rebecca Gates; Shannon Wright; Fiona Apple; Julie Doiron; amongst many others...
***2***And I use that word very very very loosely.
***3***Like I know.
***4***Examples: Christina Ricci girl and girl with the million dollar shoes.
***5***And I'm not talking a keg-o-rator here, I'm talking an actual tap of beer.
***6***Not that you don't know that, but certain segments of the population have started grumbling about their new album, which I think is better than Clarity...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home