Thursday, March 15, 2001

Zach "-son Pollack" Kuhn

Come on down.

Saw Pollack last night. SHould Ed Harris be nominated for an Oscar? Maybe. Should Marcia Gay Harden? Not really. First of all, he's great in this movie, but its a role that stops being interesting after about an hour. I understand that madness is in the repetition, but this movie repeats and repeats and it goes and goes and goes. Cameos by Val Kilmer, Jennifer Connely and supermodel and former Mrs. Axl Rose Stephanie Seymore (who isn't bad, surprisingly. She's one to watch for) made it a little easier to put up with, but still I'd only give it a 3.5/5. Have you seen it? Can you believe that Marcia Gay Harden is nominated for Supporting Actress? She's in the movie for all but maybe ten minutes of it. She's in more scenes than Ellen Burstyn (my choice, hands down) is in Requiem for a Dream. Ah well.

Good luck to all of you heading out on tour or already on tour. I wish I was you.

And by the way, this brew-ha-ha about Mark Kozelek is overreaction encapsulated. I very highly doubt that he meant his use of the word "faggot" as hateful, I also don't think that immitating someone's voice is racist. For those of you who don't know, apparently the divine Mr. Koz immitated his Chinese landlord's voice at a show, and almost everyone in the crowd understood that he was poking fun, not trying to be a racist. He made the great point that people make fun of George W's accent all the time. Many great Asian and Latino and American comics do imitations for a quick laugh. I really think that people are being way too hyper-sensitive about the imitation. I do not, however, condone his use of the word faggot. There are words that should never be used, and that is one. It's offensive to most gay people, so I don't see how using it would be "funny".

My two cents, plus tax.

The next five songs on your radio in a perfect world would be: "Underground" by Versus; "Hearts of Palm" by Idaho; "Dreaming" by Loudon Wainwright III; "Don't I Hold You" by Wheat; and "the New Collapse" by the Mt.St. Helens.

In the stereo: "I love you gwenovier, I'd love to gwenovier, I love you"
aka "we laugh Indoors" (no, I don't have it yet)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home