Tuesday, March 06, 2001

Zach "Flanked" Kuhn

I'm a guy that's offering to give you a cigarette and buy you a cup of coffee.

Hard Eight. PTA's weakest yet still a far sight better than the rest of what Hollywood churns out. Went and saw Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and saw five previews. Four were idiotic summer movies and one was for Pearl Harbor, which looks fantastic. The acting probably sucks, but the effects are dazzling. There's one shot of a bomb falling out of the plane that follows all the way to detination. I'm not usually a big studio summer movie guy, but this one looks gooooood.

On to CT,HD...hmmm How do I put this delicately. I liked it. It was a good movie. A very beautifully shot and choreographed film. But I do not see it as this year's best picture. It won't even make my top ten. I really feel that once you get past how great it looks, there isn't much to the story. The acting is average. The direction is fantastic. He'll deserve the Oscar if Steven Soderbergh splits the vote, which looks likely. But the movie as a whole gets a solid 4 out of 5.

My Best Picture nominees (The BLARGar's, to be posted one at a time for however long it takes)
Jesus' Son
The Virgin Suicides
Waking the Dead
Traffic
Requiem for a Dream

Apparently, we have a large network of BLARG readers working for the weekend in bad office jobs. They, (through their spokesperson, Jen) have asked for a sort of history of our relationship, on and around the BLARG. We're getting a domain as of tonight, so I'll give a quick one of my own and maybe someday we'll have a whole page. One footnote, I know a few people working mindless office jobs and my advice to you is to come back to school....today I took a 2 hour nap, watched 3 movies (Rushmore, American Movie, and CT,HD), studied for a midterm and BLARGed. And 1130 p.m. means early, not late.

Anyway, here's the story morning glory:
1. Marc and I met at Freshman Orientation here in Normal, ILL, where both of us were planning on being High School English teachers. We were in the same group, and I (as is S.O.P) was off on my own while Marc was playing the social butterfly. He, with no prior knowledge, came up to me and asked if I liked punk rock. I'm not kidding, he asked in those exact words. I told him, flatly, "Not really." That's sort of the theme of our relationship. On the first day of school we ran into each other at the Student Center, and the rest is history.

2. I'll let Marc or Jesse tell you how they know each other, the only thing I know is that Pike likes the fucking Cardinals, which is a mortal sin where I come from.

3. Scott is the singer in Marc's band, and lived with us first semester this year. He's the opposite of me--he works out, eats pretty well, and turns the ladies on. He ranks as number one all time as the best person to live with, although he doesn't have much competition (I've only lived with Marc, Rick, Larry, and Dan, and they're all sweaty punks).

4. Marc and I live here in Normal (although Marc travels 5 out of 7), in a building full of Fratties and Sortties called the Stilts. Scott used to live five feet from where I now type, but now he lives in Wheaton where you can't drink and marrying yer sister may or may not still be legal. I'm just kidding.

No I'm not.

Are we clear? We'll work out a better history some day, but for now that'll have to do. Marc probably already posted something similar to this, but I'm typing this without the internet on, so I can't tell.

The next five songs on your radio in a perfect world would be: "The Plan" by Built to Spill; "Onward, Fat Girl" by The dismemberment Plan; "Girls!Girls!Girls!" by Liz Phair; "Fair" by Ben Folds Five; and "We Laugh Indoors" by Death Cab For Cutie.

Christine, your Death Cab for Cutie/Spoon tape is in the stereo as we speak.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home