Thursday, June 28, 2001

Marc

Until Yesterday, there were three certanties in life, but now, there are only two as yet unproven:

(1) The new Ted Leo album, "The Tyranny of Distance", was going to be incredible. Check that: the certainy has proved true. There are very few albums that I've bought that have totally changed the way I looked at music. The first was Skid Row s/t cassette when I was in the 4th grade, the second was hearing of/seeing Braid in a coffeehouse in Kankakee (I bought a shirt, the "I'm Afraid. ..." 7", and "The Age of Octeen" CD) when I was a junior in highschool, and the most recent was Aimee Mann's "Magnolia" soundtrack. All three opened my eyes to new, different forms of musical expression and classifications. Sure, you can poke fun because I cited Skid Row, but know that -a- Sebastian Bach can fucking belt out a tune, -b- whoever the hell was on guitar could shred (fingers in the rock-lock), and -c- "18 & Life", "Youth Gone Wild", and "I Remember You" are still some of my favorite songs to hear, when the moment arises. For fuck's sake, I was only in the fourth grade, and I was rocking out like a badass. Until then it had been cheesy R & B and radio pop, like the New Kids. Don't playa hate, bitches. You know you liked them, too.

This album, by Ted Leo, is fucking amazing. Straight up rock and roll, but diverse enough to be fresh and unique. I listened to the thing about fifteen times straight through yesterday, while studying, on breaks from studying, and while I tried to sleep. "Timorous Me" was the song where his band busted in during a live performance. They captured it beautifully. And "You Could Die" is the minute and a half final ballad, illustrating Leo's intimate relationship between himself and his electric guitar. Whatever you do, be it today, tomorrow, or whenever, find this album and embrace it.

(2) There's a band, that is going to release an incredible album on August 7. Do you know who? as yet unproven certainty, but a certainty nonetheless

(3) And then, there was The Plan. October, methinks. Your ass will never be the same. as yet unproven certainty, but a certainty nonetheless

Oh, and I finally picked up the Pernice Bros. album, too. It's good, but it's no Ted Leo.