Tuesday, March 20, 2001

Marc "Bungles"

I am a bungler. I bungle my way through the day, through the night, through books, through music, through rock and roll shows, through pretty much everything. Example: Tonight, I flew to New Orleans, LA. I bungled my way over to over to baggage claim, bungled on out to the shuttle bus, bungled into Hertz, bungled into a Ford Explorer, and bungled my way over to the Courtyard Marriott in Metairie (even though I didn't have an address, didn't have my reservation number, and didn't have a map to tell me where to go). I just keep finding myself in places that I don't recall arranging for myself to be in. I'm here, in Metairie, LA. I didn't ask to come here. Tomorrow I'll be in three other towns that I've never planned on going to. I'm not worried about where they are. I don't care who I meet. I just hope that I'll be done with them by Wednesday night at 7:55, when I'll have to bungle down the jetway to a flight back to Chicago. Then I'll have to bungle over to the downtown Marriott so I can get up in the morning and bungle up a post office at 5 S. Wabash in Chicago.

In other news, I've decided to take the summer off, with the exception of a few classes. I want to seriously take a shot at the following things:
1) Writing something, whether it be a book, a short story, or a few poems. Just as long as I produce something by the beginning of the fall semester. I just feel like there's a beautiful story or collection of words stuck in my head somewhere. I've been trying so hard over the past few years to knock them out, but nothing seems to be working. I get myself all worked up about a story, then re-read it and realize that it's absolute shit. I'm not a perfectionist.
2) Working out. I've only lifted weights and ran when I was in high school on the tennis team. I'm in terrible shape and I need to correct it. Without this job, I will be in one spot for long enough to get some kind of a routine down. I wonder what I'll look like if I do this.
3) Seriously begin work on a new band. I have had this deep, uncomfortable feeling that my band has been slowly falling apart. I had the same feeling after about three years of playing with my band in high school. I still can't tell if I'm right now, if I was right then, or if this is me just being paranoid. I worry too much about this kind of thing. The only thing that I can be sure of is the fact that I would like to try my hand at writing songs that don't necessarily have to sound a certain way. I know it sounds vague, but it makes sense to me.

That's it. Simple enough goals, not made on the pretense of a New Year. I know a few people who would laugh at these suggestions, and I know a few more who might find them a bit shocking, but none of that matters. I need to change some things about myself, and hopefully I'll have the time to get started on it this summer.

I am a work in progress. Please stand by.