Thursday, February 15, 2001

ZooK

Today's A.G. stat: 10 comments, 17 likes.
Apparently we have ourselves a reader, Mr. Quinn Goodwille of fabulous Geneva, Illinois. I was up in that neck of the woods all day yesterday doing odds and ends marketing for Holiday Matinee. Got Saint Dominick's Preview by Van Morrison which completes the holy trifecta of Morrison's early 70's/late 60's work. Seriously folks, I'm not a frat boy, I am 21 years old, and my favorite record of all time is Astral Weeks by Van Morrison. Don't hate me.
Saw a fantastic movie last night at Cantera in Warrenville. For those of you unfortunate enough to not know what Cantera is, its a 30 theatre massive movie complex. Now I'm as against the man as anyone, but this place is my fucking Xanadu. Real stadium seating, none of that half and half shit. You could be 3 feet tall sitting behind Manute Bol and still not be obstructed in any way. Plus there are 30 screens which means high quality movies come at least once every two weeks. Last night it was "You Can Count on Me", starring Laura Linney, Mark Ruffalo, Matthew Broderick, and the youngest Culkin brother. Seriously, despite their parents obvious lack of self-respect, all of these kids ended up dynamite actors. Say what you want about the oldest one, he was great in Home Alone. Kieran has been in some high quality films and should be able to make a career out of it. The youngest (Brendan?) is better than both combined, has this great sense of comedic timing.
The movie, anyway, makes my top 5 of last year by tying with Traffic at #2 (allowing me to have six in my top five, which has always been my goal. It's depressing, but good depressing with a ray of light. There's a haunting scene of brother (Ruffalo) and sister (Laura Linney) smoking pot on their back deck watching the stars. A butterfly flies into frame and lands directly on his hand, he looks at it, pauses, then continues. Breathtaking.
Anyway...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home